NCFE Functional Skills Qualification English at Level 2
NCFE Functional Skills Qualification English at Level 2
Overview of the Qualification (600/0140/9)
This qualification is suitable for candidates aged 14 and above. The NCFE Functional Skills qualification in English at Level 2 is an ideal qualification for candidates wishing to develop practical, transferable skills in English in order to work confidently, effectively and independently in life. It is suitable for a wide range of individuals and is fundamental to the successful completion of various wider qualifications and frameworks, such as the Diploma and Apprenticeships.
- This qualification is designed for a wide range of learners who want to develop practical and transferable skills in English
- There are no specific recommended prior learning requirements for this qualification. However, learners may find it helpful if they’ve already achieved a Level 1 qualification.
- This qualification is suitable for learners aged pre-16 and above, although it is recommended that learners should be aged at least 14.
- Learners who achieve this qualification could progress to:
- NCFE Functional Skills qualifications in Mathematics
- NCFE Functional Skills qualifications in Information and Communication Technology
- As this qualification develops transferable skills which will be useful in work and life, learners could also progress onto a variety of NCFE qualifications in Employability, Money Management, or vocational areas
How is the qualification assessed?
Assessment is the process of measuring a candidate’s skill, knowledge and understanding against the standards set in a qualification. Each candidate is required to undertake 3 task-based assessments. Centres are free to choose the date, time and location of the assessments, and there’s no need to take them in any particular order. Candidates will be issued with an individual result of ‘achieved’ or ‘not yet achieved’ for each of the individual components:
- Speaking, Listening and Communication
If candidates do not achieve their component assessment they are able to re-sit the individual component. All 3 components must be achieved in order to obtain a full certificate. Partial certification is not available for this qualification. Grades are not awarded and the components are weighted equally.
Candidates can take their assessments at any time; however, as these are summative assessments, they should only be taken when the centre is confident that the candidate is able to achieve the component at the relevant level. During the assessments candidates will be assessed against all of the skills standards and each of the coverage and range statements that comprise the skills standards at Level 2.
Achieving this qualification
Achieving this qualification This qualification consists of 3 mandatory components:
- component 1 Speaking, Listening and Communication
- component 2 Reading
- component 3 Writing
To be awarded the NCFE Functional Skills qualification in English at Level 2, learners are required to successfully complete all 3 mandatory components, by achieving their task-based assessments. Component credits will not be awarded. Grades are not awarded and the 3 components are weighted equally.
Speaking, Listening and Communication are assessed via a summative, controlled assessment that is internally assessed and moderated and externally moderated. NCFE sets the parameters of the assessment and supplies the mandatory assessment materials. The NCFE Functional Skills English Level 2 Assessment Pack contains the externally set controlled assessments for the speaking, listening and communication component.
The Reading and Writing components are assessed via 2 separate externally set and assessed task-based question papers. Candidates will be issued with a result of ‘achieved’, ‘not yet achieved’ or ‘within 10%’ for each of the assessments. The assessments are administered by centre staff under examination conditions and will both last for 1 hour. This includes candidate reading time.
If the candidate achieves their external assessment(s) before NCFE receives notification of successful internal assessment, the external assessment result(s) will be banked until a full certificate is claimed.
Candidates must hold/meet one or more of the criteria on the list below:
- A certificate/ diploma in management studies or business management
- An equivalent professional qualification from a recognised institution.
- Mature students with a minimum of two years relevant work experience may be considered.
- This course is designed for learners aged 19 and above.
- The provider will determine English Language ability if English is not your native language.
- IELTS 4.5 or equivalent qualification is preferred but not essential.
Course materials, including presentations, handouts, assignment briefs, and e-books are made available to enrolled learners. In addition to this, the learners will also receive the course handbook and tutorial via emails, in order to support the learning.
We can provide printed books for certain units and these can be ordered by the learners at the start of the course at an additional cost. These are from BPP Publishing or other publications and are discounted for enrolled learners. These are available for selected units only.
The learner sets their own pace for their learning and the courses are offered on an academic year basis. Although our tutors encourage the learners to make progress monthly, this approach is flexible.
The fee includes registration, assessment, teaching and certification. There is no other hidden cost.
Qualification number: 600/0140/9
Level: NQF Level 2
Awarding Organisation: NCFE
Assessment: 3 Mandatory task-based assessments
We do everything we can to ensure that information on our website is correct, however details may change and we cannot accept responsibility for errors or omissions. For more detailed information about the course visit ATHE official website on https://www.ncfe.org.uk/qualification-search/ncfe-functional-skills-qualification-in-english-at-level-2-3971.aspx
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.